1 Verb + safety
Use the correct form of these verbs:
compromise guarantee improve reach
- Army officers told the journalists it was such a dangerous area that they could not ______________ their safety.
- The refugees walked for nearly a week until they ______________ safety.
- Railway companies have dismissed fears that staff cuts will ______________ safety. They say they are not putting profit before people’s lives.
- These new measures are designed to ______________ safety in our schools.
2 Expressions with prepositions
Complete the sentences with these expressions:
for the safety of from the safety of for your own safety in safety to safety
- In the crowded streets of the city centre it is difficult to find a place where children can play ______________ .
- The boat sank about a hundred metres from the shore, but we all managed to swim______________ .
- The police are concerned ______________ a three-year-old boy who has been missing for two days.
- In the safari park you can watch the lions ______________ your car.
- Smoking and the use of mobile phones are not permitted on board this plane ______________ .
3 Safety + noun
Complete the sentences below with these nouns:
features precautions procedures
reasons regulations record
- Farmers need to take safety ____________ and wear protective clothing when spraying pesticides onto their crops.
- The area in the park near where the children play has been fenced off for safety ____________ .
- This hall does not conform to safety ____________. That’s why we can’t let the public use it.
- Very stringent safety checks are carried out on all our planes. That’s why this airline has such an excellent safety ____________ .
- Our engineers have incorporated all the latest safety____________ into the design of this car.
- As the plane prepared for take-off, the cabin crew demonstrated the safety ____________ .
4 Noun + preposition + safety
Cross out the wrong preposition in these sentences:
- There is growing concern about / on the safety of mobile phones.
- German cars have a reputation on / for safety and reliability.
- In the interests of / in safety, smoking is forbidden in the cinema.
- This latest accident has raised doubts in / about the safety of the aircraft.
- The firemen led the women out of the burning building to a place of / in safety.
- With no thought to / of her own safety, she dived into the river to save the drowning child.
- Note this expression:
There’s safety in numbers, so it’s better to walk home with a friend late at night.
- Note these adjective collocations:
The thick glass walls allow you to watch these wild animals in perfect / complete safety.
The car is fitted with side bars for extra safety.
- Note this expression:
The fireman carried the child to safety.
- Note the following noun collocations:
All employees are issued with health and safety guidelines.
The reduction in the speed limit is part of a new road safety campaign.
- By law, companies have to have a ‘Health and Safety’ expert, who is responsible for all matters relating to the safety of employees.
- guarantee 2. reached 3. compromise 4. improve
- in safety 2. to safety 3. for the safety of 4. from the safety of 5. for your own safety
- precautions 2. reasons 3. regulations 4. record 5. features 6. procedures
- concern about 2. reputation for 3.interests of 4. doubts about 5. place of 6. thought of